REPORTING: Associate Dean, Academic and Students Affairs
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACT: Staff, External Stakeholders
To be responsible for providing strategic and academic leadership in learning, teaching, and research in the Strathmore Graduate School.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strategy and Policy: Recommend, develop, and implement approved academic policies in the University with regards to Postgraduate studies and continuously contribute to the University’s corporate goals and strategic aims in postgraduate education provision;
- Operations Management: Prepare, implement, and monitor the departmental strategic plan, annual work plan, and budget in order to contribute to the management and operations of Strathmore Graduate School;
- Quality Assurance: Conduct audits of the Graduate Programs and review the curriculum documents for the master’s and PHD Programs before they are tabled to the Board of Graduate Studies to ensure that all programs in the University meet internal quality and regulatory standards;
- Student Experience: Build and develop student engagement and experience to improve on the quality of the graduate students’ thesis as the head of the University’s Thesis office;
- Research Base: Strengthen the research base by increasing the number of postgraduate research students and monitor the progression and completion rates of graduate students
- Portfolio Management: Maintain a portfolio of the University’s Post -Graduate supervisors and enhance the University’s Doctoral research through promotion of the Post-Doctoral Research Program; champion and lead initiatives that improve the University’s research portfolio;
- Collaboration: Partner with other Deans and heads of department to establish and maintain national and international recognition of the University as a centre of excellence for graduate education; Manage collaborative graduate studies activities of the Faculty in accordance with the governance, policy and regulatory frameworks of the University;
- Administrative Matters: Chair meetings and committees as Member of Graduate Studies, Member of the Academic Council, Member of the Council of Dean and Member of the Research Committee; Coordinate matters regarding the marketing of the Graduate Programs of the University.
- As part of the top management, the position holder should provide leadership, guidance and development of subordinates while being proactively involved in supporting the development and achievement of the foundational goals and mission of the University.
The post holder will be required to have and to demonstrate evidence of the following qualifications:
- Doctorate Degree in any related field from a recognized institution
- At least 10 years’ experience in teaching, research, supervision, grants application, and administration
- Experience holding the position of Senior Lecturer
- Membership to a professional body
- Ability to effectively present information to University Council, top management and/or public groups
COMPETENCIES AND ATTRIBUTES
- Strong Research and Analytical Skills
- Publishing Record
- Interpersonal Skills
- Experience in attracting Research Grants
- Strong Leadership and Strategic Skills
- Ability to form collaborative linkages
- Effective Communication Skills
- Report Writing Skills
- Exposure to other fields of study
Are you qualified for this position and interested in working with us? We would like to hear from you. Kindly send us a copy of your updated resume and letter of application (ONLY) quoting “Director Graduate Programs” on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of the day (5:30 pm) Wednesday 20th January 2021.
Due to the large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please be advised that Strathmore University is an equal opportunity employer and does NOT ask for money from applicants under any circumstances during its recruitment process. Interested applicants are encouraged to exercise caution upon receiving any such interview opportunity that requires payment of any money.