Strathmore Energy Research Centre (SERC) is an applied technology lab within Strathmore University. It was established in 2012 to carry out high-quality research and consultancy services. We provide professional training, laboratory testing and project development for the renewable energy sector in Kenya. SERC effectively offers services to the government, private sector and the general public. SERC’s mission is to be the institution of choice for research,
training and project development for renewable energies and energy efficiency in East Africa.
SERC works in the applied research field as well as in training and capacity building for the renewable energy sector in East Africa. In this context, SERC is building out its bioenergy capacity. We are active in supporting industrial heat applications (e.g. tea sector) through energy audits, system and engineering design, biomass supply chain management and sustainability requirements (certification), as well as energy life cycle assessments and carbon footprint analysis. We provide capacity building and training on the design and installation of anaerobic digesters (methane).
As part of expanding our bioenergy program, we received seed funds to build a bioenergy department at SERC. A keystone project for the bioenergy department to be kicked off in October 2019 is a bioenergy supply assessment for over 30 Kenya Tea Development Authority (KTDA) factories. We are looking for a full-time six-month consultant to support the build-out of the bioenergy department and the management of the (KTDA) bioenergy supply assessment.
During these initial six months, the manager will focus on implementing the KTDA bioenergy supply assessment. Managerial (department lead, proposal writing, policy/media support) will be secondary.
Considering available funds and performance, SERC’s goal is to transition you into a full-time employee position with full benefits following the initial six months. Building out the bioenergy program would become your major task (leading and hiring staff, policy support, research collaborations, securing funds, development of training content for bioenergy courses, operationalize a lab for biogas testing).
Bioenergy Manager Qualifications and Desired Experience:
- Experience in leading staff and field crews to research-grade collection of field data. This can entail engineering data (e.g. steam boilers, pelletization equipment, torrefaction systems), surveys (biomass costs, supply risks, and other economic data) as well as biomass data (forests, plantations, agricultural residues).
- Experience in data management using Microsoft Excel/Access or equivalent software. This includes database design as well as complex data analysis from an engineering, economic, and biomass growth perspective.
- Familiarity with bioenergy systems in East Africa across a wide range of biomass resources (agricultural residues, tree or shrub plantations, invasive species management, forest operations residues, sawmill residues, open woodland management, etc.), conversion processes (split wood, wood chips, loose biomass, pellets, briquettes, torrefied biomass, charcoal, biogas) and applications (industrial heat and cooling, electricity generation, combined heat and power).
- Experience managing multiple projects and working with private sector clients, research collaborators, funders and contractors in a concise and friendly manner to produce high quality deliverables and meet project timelines. Applicants with excellent writing skills and potentially published research articles preferred.
- Proactively working with national and international research collaborators and funding agencies (e.g. soliciting funds, proposal writing, collaboratively developing and managing projects).
- Providing technical support to policy makers (participating in policy development activities such as workshops, policy documents, expert-input on regulations, media support).
- Experience using GIS software such as ArcGIS or QGIS on biomass growth and yield models.
- Familiarity/experience with a wide variety of forest sampling designs. Strong quantitative and statistical skills are required.
- Experience in developing training content for short Bioenergy courses.
- Familiarity (or ability to rapidly become familiar) with standards, methods, and protocols relevant to bioenergy systems in Kenya (ISO standards, energy management regulations, carbon accounting standards, carbon offset registries).
Work Location and Schedule
Office space on SERC campus is provided. We encourage flexibility in work location and schedule.Travel Requirement
- 25% or less – Travel may be required to visit project sites and attend meetings and may require overnight stays up to a week at a time.
- M.Sc. in forestry, agriculture, engineering, ecosystems management, or related discipline.
- Ability to meet timelines and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to cordially interact with clients and staff.
- A minimum of 3 years of related work experience.
- Excellent reading, verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, and strong presentation skills. Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work well in a team and as an individual: collaborative, good-natured, strong work ethic, self-motivated, passionate and able to be self-managed.
- Working knowledge of conducting needs assessments is advantageous.
- Demonstrated interest in renewable energy technologies and/or climate science is advantageous.
How to apply
- To apply to this position, please submit your resume (required) and cover letter (required) as separate documents to Prisca Atieno at email@example.com.
- Application is open for 3 weeks.