Press Release: 23rd December 2015
Following the unfortunate outcome of the evacuation drill that took place at Strathmore University on the 30th November 2015, the University Council appointed an Independent Investigation Committee. The Committee delivered its report to the Council, which has subsequently taken the following actions:
- Terminated the services of the Security Director with immediate effect.
- Suspended three senior members of the university team pending further investigations into their role and culpability.
- Disbanded the Security Committee of the University as currently constituted. The University has initiated the recruitment process for a suitable Security Director, will constitute an effective security committee and put in place an emergency evacuation plan for the institution.
- Engage the Independent Police Oversight Authority (IPOA) to investigate the role played by the police.
- On behalf of Strathmore University, the Council is committed to ensuring that this kind of incident never occurs again and sincerely apologizes to all the stakeholders affected.
STRATHMORE UNIVERSITY COUNCIL.