Master of Commerce (MCOM)
The Master of Commerce (MCOM) is a programme designed for those who wish to advance academically and professionally in business science, with specializations in Strategic Management Accounting, Sustainability Accounting, Finance, Marketing, International Business Management, Management Science and Strategic Management.
The MCOM programme seeks to prepare students, not only in the academic field but also prepares graduates to manage organisations in diverse operations. The programme equips candidates with critical skills which are required in the workplace. The overall aim of the programme is to produce business scientists who are capable of handling dynamic business environment and transform their organisations. It also prepares graduates to pursue advanced research without having to undergo preparatory classes.
Areas of specializations
- Sustainability Accounting
- Forensic Accounting
- Strategic Management Accounting
- International Business Management
- Management Science
- Strategic Management
The MCOM programme is structured into 21 units comprising:
- 8 common units
- 5 specialisation units
- 2 elective units
- 6 research equivalent units.
Mode of Delivery
Evening: Classes run for 3 days in a week from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm and occasional Saturday mornings (8:30 am – 1:00 pm).
The following are eligible for admission into the Master of Commerce (MCOM) programme:
- Holders of First Class (or GPA of 3.45 – 4) or Upper Second Class (or GPA of 2.85 – 3.44) degrees in Commerce or Business Studies from recognised universities; or
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in Commerce or Business Studies or at least 2.5 GPA plus Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates in relevant fields of study; or with at least two years working experience in a business or research environment from the date of graduation.
- You must have had at least a C+ mean grade at KCSE or;
- C plain plus a diploma (diplomas take at least 2 years)
If the applicant meets the above entry requirements, they are then invited to sit a written Graduate Entrance Exam (GEE). All applicants MUST sit and pass our GEE that comprises of a written exam followed by an oral interview. The written exam entails English comprehension and grammar, arithmetic plus an essay. Once the applicant has completed and passed the written exam, they are scheduled for an oral interview.
NB: The GEE is administered every Wednesday and Friday at 2:00 pm.
- Duly filled in Graduate Application Form (Download the form here).
- Two (2) completed Reference Forms from your professional background or from former professors particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study (Download reference form here).
- Certified copies of undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained.
- Certified copy of your Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education-KCSE certificate (Secondary/High School Certificate or its equivalent).
- An updated Curriculum Vitae. Please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
- Two (2) current passport size photos.
- A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or a copy of Passport (bio-data page).
- 2,500 Interview fee payable on the interview day.
NB: Certified copies: Please note the copies of the certificates and transcripts should be certified by the awarding institution or by an advocate of the high court.
Fees and Funding
The programme fee is Kshs 530,950 which is payable over the six (6) semesters of the programme). *Please note that SBS reserves the rights to amend the fee periodically.