Notice to Graduands
This is to remind all the students who will be graduating in June 2013 that the process will be carried out in accordance with the Graduation Policy, see below
All the potential granduands should therefore:
- Confirm their University records and clear all fees balances with effect from 24th April 2013 to Friday 31st May 2013; that is one month to the graduation, failure to which no appeals will be accepted.
- Apply for graduation online by completing the Graduation Application form in the Students Academic Module and pay the appropriate convocation fee that is indicated on the form. Applications should be done after the confirmation of records and payment of fees balances with effect from Thursday 25th April 2013 and the last day will be Friday 31st May 2013.
- Strictly observe the dates for confirmation of records and application for graduation in order to avoid missing the graduation.
Note: No appeals will be accepted after the Friday 31st May 2013 deadline date.
Conditions of Entry to Graduation
1. Graduation is open only to registered students of the University who have fulfilled both the academic and fee requirements of their programme and who have been approved for the appropriate award by the Academic Council (thereafter referred to as Graduands).
2. In order to become a graduate of the University, Graduands must apply for Graduation by completing the graduation application form which is issued by the Schools/Faculties and pay the appropriate fee as set by the University. A Graduand will not be deemed to be a Graduate of the University until they have applied for and completed the process of graduation at the University Graduation and Awards Ceremony, either in person or in absentia.
3. Potential Graduands are required to apply for Graduation within the specified registration period by utilizing University Graduation Procedures as determined by the University and notified to potential Graduands through official notice boards throughout the University, the University website and Students' Handbook.
4. Potential Graduands will be registered for Graduation in the name that is recorded on the Students' University Record at the time the award decision was made by the Academic Council. The Certificate will bear the registered name of the Graduand, and shall not be changed once the period for confirmation of records stated hereunder has lapsed.
5. Potential graduands should confirm their Students' University records and clear all fees balances at least one month to the graduation, failure to which no appeals will be accepted.
6. Appeals: Regulations regarding appeals against awards are as follows:
a. Once a Graduand has graduated from the University, he/she is deemed to have accepted the award as approved by the Academic Council and to have become a Graduate of the University. Academic appeals from Graduates against marks, types of degrees or awards approved by the Academic Council will not be considered by the University.
b. Any appeals against an award approved by the Academic Council must be done in writing to the Vice Chancellor not less than 14 days before the graduation ceremony. No appeals will be accepted outside this period.
c. Graduands who lodge an academic appeal have the following options:
i. Attend the graduation ceremony as planned while the appeal is being considered;
ii. Defer graduation until the next set of ceremonies by which time the result of the appeal will be known;
iii. Graduate in absentia and await the outcome of their appeal.
d. Graduands who wish to take up option (i) will be included in the graduation listings with the award they are appealing against. They will not be given their award certificate after the ceremony but will receive a letter of completion. Once the appeal has been heard and a decision made the certificate will be issued in accordance with the decision of the appeal.
e. Graduands who wish to take up option (ii) will be invited to attend the next graduation ceremony once the decision of their appeal has been reached. The certificate will be presented to them after the ceremony.
f. Graduands who wish to take up option (iii) will be included in the graduation lists and their certificate will be awarded once a decision has been made. The graduate will not be invited to attend another ceremony.
g. Graduands who appeal against the decision of an Academic council which states that they are not eligible for an award shall not be included in the Graduation Lists.
Download Application for Graduation Form