1. What is ultrasound? Ultrasound involves the use of high frequency sound waves, produced by a handheld sensor called a transducer, placed on a body surface.When the sound waves from the transducer come in contact with a body part, it is bounced back towards the transducer, which is connected to a computer that converts the reflected sound waves into an image of that body part. The different tissues in the body reflect the ultrasound waves at different frequencies.
2. Why is an Ultrasound service important in health care management? Ultrasound allows for evaluation of internal body organs non-invasively. The advent of ultrasound was particularly useful in evaluation of pregnancy. Details on the fetus are easily assessed and thereafter, more precise management with better outcomes for both mother and baby are possible. Ultrasound, unlike x-ray does not have ionizing radiation hence it is safer to use.
3.What value does ultrasound give in making a diagnosis? Ultrasound is a fast examination service with minimal preparation. There are no major side effects. Detailed information acquired from ultrasound can guide the clinician to zero in on a diagnosis or narrow the differential diagnosis. Patient management is therefore more efficient.
Ultrasound can be used as a screening tool for many illnesses such as diabetes and hypertension where evaluation of the kidney vessels and the neck vessels is useful.
4. You will be working through teleradiology? What is it and how does it work? Teleradiology is the transmission of medical images for purposes of reporting. The ultrasound images done at Strathmore medical center can be transmitted to our radiologists through our dedicated and secure servers for reporting. Reporting is done real-time.
5. The Medical Center seems to be making good milestones after such a short while in operation, to what would this be attributed? Good and modern healthcare management is key in any medical operations just like any successful business operations. The University has put in place a well-planned and well-executed strategy to make this possible. We are very grateful for this support.
6. What is the vision of the clinic in 5years? We would want the clinic to be the preferred premier and affordable center of diagnosis and treatment for both the Strathmore community and its environs. The humble milestones we have so far achieved have enabled the staff and other members of this community to access medical services within this locality.